85 g [1/3 cup] butter - melted
200 g digestive biscuits - crushed
600 g philadelphia cream cheese
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp cornflour
140 g [heaping 2/3 cup] golden caster sugar
finely grated zest of lemon
1 tsp vanilla
50 g butter
100 g [1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp] light muscovado sugar
142 ml [1/3 cup + 1/4 cup] double/heavy cream
2 medium bananas - sliced thickly
fresh lemon juice
284 ml [1 cup + 2 Tbsp] whipping or double cream
Preheat oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4.
For the crust:
1. Mix melted butter with the biscuit crumbs and press the mixture evenly into the bottom of a 23cm springform pan (preferably non-stick).
For the filling:
1. Beat all the ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer until well combined.
2. Pour into the cake pan set on a baking sheet making sure to level off the top.
3. Bake for 50 minutes until golden brown. The top will be a little wobbly but it will set as it cools. Turn the oven off and leave the oven door open leaving the cheesecake to cool completely inside.
For the toffee sauce:
1. Melt the butter gently with the double cream and sugar in a saucepan while continously stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let it gently boil briefly.
For the topping:
1. Whip the whipping cream to soft peaks.
2. Squeeze some lemon juice onto the sliced bananas.
1. Put the whipped cream on the cooled cheesecake in a swirling fashion.
2. Wedge the banana slices in the cream.
3. Drizzle a little toffee sauce on top and also serve on the side.