"Every single time you cook, you create a piece of art".
Monday, 16 April 2012
A new romance and the beginning of a fairytale...
I've been looking for the perfect cake. Not that I could generalize a cake that everyone would regard as the perfect one. I've been looking for a cake, that feels just right at the moment, perfect for this instant, this period of life. Perfect for me I guess, and hopefully perfect for others too. I was thinking about it so hard that this idea just struck me one night before falling asleep. Of course I had to stand up to write it down, I had a feeling that there was something revolutionary coming :)
I love, more than love bananas, so I wanted to bake a cake that would include my favourite ingredient of course. I also adore coconut and strawberries - I decided why not to use them too. With strawberries there comes always the white chocolate - and a touch of lemon to refresh the whole creation :) I wanted this cake to be comfortable and luxurious, decadent, at the same time. And for the frosting it had to be cream cheese, which gives such a lovely soft flavour and a texture.
Organic cream cheese.
Actually the idea for the decoration came first, the I started to build up the cake according to it, so that it would match the basic idea. The combination of white chocolate, banana, coconut and a hint of strawberry sounded irresistible. And the outcome is such a romantic, fluffy and ravishing cake. I decided to name it the Love Cake, Rakkauskakku in Finnish. I hope that when you taste it you can feel the love you used to make it. Love is the greatest of all. It's at least moderate to bake a cake celebrating it!
And then you see, it's spring. The season of love, new beginnings, new romances that lead into heartbreaking fairytales ot the ones with a happy ending. So, celebrate the beauty of life, the nobility of loving and being loved. Share this cake with your dearest, or bake it to brighten up your days filled of routine. Don't miss the message of love <3 1. Cor. 13:13. Gal. 5:22.
" Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony". Col. 3:14.
For the Love Cake "Rakkauskakku"
3,6 dl mashed ripe bananas (about four medium sized bananas) 2 tsp lemon juice 4,8 dl wheat flour 2,4 dl organic coconut flakes 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp himalaya salt 1, 8 dl (about 150g) organic butter 4 dl organic brown sugar 3 large eggs 2 tsp vanilla sugar 1 zest of a lemon 3, 6 dl organic coconut milk For the filling 0,5 dl organic coconut milk juice of one lemon 1 tsp vanilla sugar about 2 dl freezed strawberries 1 banana 2 tbsp agave syrup about 0,5 dl organic peanut butter (I used smooth but crunchy goes perfectly too) For the frosting and decorating 2 tbsp organic virgin coconut oil 100 g organic white chocolate with strawberry flakes
2 packages (175 g each) organic unflavoured cream cheese 1 dl icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla sugar one banana some lemon juice about 1 dl organic coconut flakes 30 g white chocolate (grated white chocolate flakes to decorate) 1. Butter the cake tin with coconut oil, flour it with organic potato starch or equivalent. Heat the oven into 150°C.
Extra virgin coconut oil.
2. In a bowl, mash the bananas, add lemon juice. Grate zest of one well washed lemon, add to the mixture and set aside. Mix the wheat flour with coconut flakes, baking soda and salt, set aside. 3. In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar with a stand mixer until well mixed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla sugar, mix again. 4. Beat in the flour mixture alternatively with the coconut milk. Save the leftover coconut milk for the dampening of the cake. 5. Stir in banana mixture, mix well. Bake in the oven for about 2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The baking process is a bit tricky. For the first one and a half hours keep the temperature 150°C, then for the last 30 minutes raise it to 180°C. Don't hesitate to bake it long enough. Be patient, it's worth it :) Put a foil on top of the cake to stop the surface from getting too brown or hard. 6. Remove from oven and let it cool down in the room temperature for 2-3 hours. Put to the fridge overnight, it gets better and more moist. You can also serve it the same day, but I suggest this because it gets better and better in the fridge!
7. Take strawberries out from the freezer half an hour earlier so that they melt a bit. Prepare the filling: mash one banana. Puré the freezed strawberries with a hand mixer. Combine the two mixtures, pour 2 tbsps of agave syrup to sweeten it up a bit. 8. Take the cake from the fridge, remove it carefully from the tin. It should be easy to remove, especially of you've put baking paper on the bottom of the tin.
9. Cut the cake carefully into two halves horizontally from the center. Mix together lemon juice, coconut milk and vanilla sugar, with a tablespoon sprinkle over the bottom and the upper part to give the cake some moisture and flavour.
10. Spread the peanut butter on the bottom, then the strawberry-banana filling. Put the upper part of the cake on top. Don't put too much of the filling, otherwise it comes out from the sides.
11. Prepare the frosting. Take the cream cheese to the room temperature about half an hour earlier, it will make the frosting a bit smoother. Melt the white chocolate together with the virgin coconut oil in a small kettle over a bigger kettle with simmering water. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Set aside.
12. Prepare the decorations. Cut one banana into slices. Take about 1 dl of coconut flakes on a wide bowl. Put a baking paper near you so that you can but the dipped banana slices on it to cool down. Dip the banana slices one by one in the chocolate, then dip them in coconut flakes. Let them rest for a while.
13. You'll have plenty of the white chocolate mixture left, use it for the frosting. Mix it together with the cream cheese. Add vanilla sugar and then add the icing sugar. Mix until the frosting is smooth. Spread beautifully on top of the cake. Then put the dipped banana slices on top of the cake, making a round around the edges. Grate some white chocolate and sprinkle on the sides on top of the banana slices.
14. Share with your family, friends...the people you love - or just anyone who might need a slice of pure love :)