I wanted to bake cupcakes suitable for Christmas, the only problem was to find a good recipe, and a recipe that seemed to be interesting. When I couldn't find one, I decided to make it myself. I love dates and we had a lot of them in the kitchen cupboard, that's why I finally made these lovely, lovely and addicting date cupcakes with créme fraîche glazing. The outcome was excellent. For the cupcake dough I used an ancient datecake recipe, a bit modified. The glaze I made up myself, and I'm quite proud of the whole combination, it was so wonderful. You know I've always thought that only chocolate can "take you to heaven", but these date cupcakes verify the fact that date can do that as well. I wish you enjoyable moments with these cupcakes (like I very much had) and be careful, you might get addicted!
makes about 25
For the cupcake dough:
400g dates (remove the seeds or use seedless)
240 ml water
240 ml white sugar (you could add less, because the dates are so sweet)
240 ml white flour
200g salted butter
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
200g créme fraîche
1 dl dates, chopped into very tiny chunks
5 dl powdered sugar
1/2 dl milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
25g melted butter
For the decoration:
25 sliced seedless dates
To make the dough:
1. Chop the dates with scissors into very tiny chunks (the smaller the chunks are the better the dough will become). Put the chopped dates into a big kettle with water and sugar. Boil the mixture to soften the dates, about 5-10 minutes. Take away from the heat.
2. Cool down the mixture a bit, add the butter and then the eggs (first break them in a cup). Be careful not to add the eggs into a too hot mixture, because the egg whites might congeal). Mix well.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with each other and add them into the date mixture, mix well.
4. Deal the dough into about 25 cups (it depends on the size of the cup, I had quite small cups). Leave some space for them for the rising, fill about 3/4 of the cups.
5. Bake in the 200°C oven for 10-15 minutes, or until ready. Cool down before adding the glaze on top.
To make the glaze:
1. Mix the créme fraîche, tiny date chunks, milk, lemon juice, melted butter and powdered sugar together in a bowl, mix well to create a smooth glaze. With spoon, put about two spoonfuls on top of the cupcakes.
2. Then decorate with sliced dates. Enjoy! And remember to store them in the fridge.