My dear friend gave me a lovely vegetarian recipe book which has only Mediterranean food from the French Provence. For a long time I've been intrigued to try the spinach gnocchi recipe, and today I finally made it. The tomato sauce I made from my own head, and with the gnocchis it was awesome. It was excellent, perfect and wonderful. It was really good. My mom praised it so much. I actually really love tomato sauce, it's so exuberant and it warms on a dark and cold day. This dish contains all the warmth of the French Riviera, just jump in!
For the spinach gnocchi:
For four persons
600g spinach, washed well
280g plain flour
4 tbsp just grated parmesan (and about 1 dl for serving)
half teaspoon just grated nutmeg
flour for baking
For the tomato sauce:
(if you want plenty, double the recipe)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, cut in half and then sliced
1 can garlic flavoured crushed tomatoes (about 400g)
70g tomato pureé
1 sweet red tapered pepper
some broccoli, about 100g
5-6 pieces of sun dried tomato
a dollop of soy cream
handful of fresh basilic, chopped
To make the spinach gnocchis:
1. Cook the washed spinach in water seasoned with salt for five minutes.
2. Put into a sieve, press the liquid away with a fork or with hands.
3. Chop the spinach and mix the flour, parmesan, salt and grated nutmeg to it well, so that the dough forms into a ball. Don't knead more than necessary because the dough is quite sensitive.
4. Cut the dough into four parts and roll the parts into bars. Cut the bars with a knife into 2 cm wide pieces, sprinkle some flour over.
4. Cook in a simmering water just for some time. The gnocchis are ready when they rise into the surface of the water, take them out when they do that. Strain the gnocchis carefully, then they're ready to serve with the tomato sauce and some grated parmesan sprinkled over.
To make the tomato sauce:
1. Sauté the sliced onion in olive oil in a large pan, add the red pepper (chopped into small chunks). Fry for a while, then add the broccoli (cut into smaller chunks).
2. Add the crushed tomatoes and the tomato pureé.
3. Slice the pieces of sun dried tomato, the add. Add the soycream, then the chopped basilic. Then add the salt, plenty of black pepper and some paprika. Lower the heat into the minimum and let stay under the lid for 10 minutes.